A parish of the Orthodox Church in America
A parish of the Diocese of the West of the Orthodox Church in America, Portland, Oregon
Multnomah County is mandating wearing masks while indoors again, starting this Friday, August 13, 2021. The County says, “Masks will be required, regardless of vaccination status, for all people 5 and older (2 years and older if tolerated).”
As we did before we will be following the requirements of our civil authorities. Thank you again for your patience and cooperation.
We offer a modest coffee hour (in person) after the liturgy. There is a small group of people who have said they want to be involved in this. Please contact Janet Frazier if you wish to help with this in some way.
Prayers, readings, and related resources related to the coronavirus pandemic and quarantine are available from the Orthodox Church in America.
Church School to begin Sept. 12, 2021
We are happy to announce the reopening of the Atrium at St. Nicholas Orthodox Church on Sunday, Sept. 12, 2021, for children ages 5 to 10 years old. Church school will happen from 8:30 a.m. to 9:30a.m. If you are interested in registering your child, please sign up on the clipboard in the Narthex. If have other questions about Curriculum of the Good Shepherd please contact Barbara Eng by email.
This year we will transition to a combined Level 1/2 for children ages 5-10 years old. We have modified the ages because we have a shortage of trained catechists who are available. If you believe your child would benefit from this experience, even if they do not quite meet the age requirements, please contact Barbara.
Opportunities to Help
Use this signup sheet to help with Sunday greeting, coffee hour, church cleanup, and other regular parish tasks.
Regular weekly schedule*
6 p.m. Great Vespers
8:30 a.m. Matins
9:30 a.m. Divine Liturgy
6 p.m. Vespers
6 p.m. Vespers
*This is the usual schedule. Check the calendar for changes.
The Dormition (“Falling Asleep”) of our Most Holy Lady, Theotokos and Ever-Virgin Mary.
Download the Children’s Word PDF
Dormition Fast continues until August 15.
- Wednesday, August 18 — Vespers 6 p.m. Choir rehearsal 7 p.m.
- Friday, August 20 — Vespers 6 p.m.
- Saturday, August 21 — Great Vespers 6 p.m.
- Sunday, August 22 — Matins 8:30, Liturgy 9:30. Wedding for Michael Bourquin and Kristina Palmer 3:30 p.m.!
- Wednesday, August 25 — Molieben with Akathist to the Icon Mother of God “Healer of Cancer” 6 p.m. Choir rehearsal 7 p.m.
- Friday, August 27 — Vespers 6 p.m.
- Saturday, August 28 — Great Vespers 6 p.m.
- Saturday, August 29 — Matins 8:30 a.m., Liturgy 9:30 a.m. Feast of the Beheading of St. John the Forerunner. Strict Fast Day
See the online calendar for further details.