A parish of the Orthodox Church in America
A parish of the Diocese of the West of the Orthodox Church in America, Portland, Oregon
26th SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST, December 3, 2023
The Prophet Zephaniah (Sophonias) was a contemporary of the Prophet Jeremiah. He was the ninth of the Twelve Minor Prophets of the Old Testament. The prophet lived at the royal court, where he preached repentance and helped King Josiah eliminate idol-worship. He prophesied about the calamities that were to come for the people of Judea and the surrounding regions: Gaza, Ascalon, Crete, and against the Moabites, the Ammonites and the Ninevites.
Scripture readings: Ephesians 5:9-19; Luke 18:18-27
Commemorated feasts and saints: Prophet Zephaniah (Sophonias—635-605 B.C.). Ven. Savva (Sabbas), Abbot of Zvenígorod, disciple of Ven. Sergius of Radonezh (1406). St. Theodulus, Eparch of Constantinople (ca. 440). Ven. John the Silent of St. Sabbas’ Monastery (558). Hieromartyr Theodore, Archbishop of Alexandria (606). Monastic Martyr Cosmas of St. Anne’s Skete (Mt. Athos).
Regular weekly schedule*
6 p.m. Great Vespers
8:30 a.m. Matins
9:30 a.m. Divine Liturgy
9:10 a.m. Hours and Divine Liturgy
*This is the usual schedule. Check the calendar for changes.
Hymnography of the Orthodox Church
Choir director Tracey Edson will lead discussions about the Octoechos (eight-week musical cycle of the Church) at 4:30 p.m. on the following Saturdays:
- December 2 — Tone 1
- January 13, 2024 — Tone 7
- February 17 — Tone 4
- May 18 — Tone 2
- June 8 — Tone 5
- Children ages 6-12 meet after lunch (noon to 1 p.m.) in the Atrium
- Kids ages 12-14 meet after lunch (noon to 1 p.m.) in the classroom
- Teens in grades 9–12 meet the first, second, and third Sundays of each month.
The Children’s Choir meets after Communion for 20-30 minutes. Leader Lyndsey Hall plans to do some 4- to 8-week bursts with the kids and learn seasonal music, some to be used in performance sense and others to be used in the service. The children are currently learning Christmas songs for this year’s Christmas play.
The Winter Coat, Gloves and Hat drive is ongoing. Please look for labeled bins in the parish hall. The items will go to Transition Projects in Portland to help our homeless population.
The current charities drives are Project Mexico and the School Buddies program.
Opportunities for Spiritual Growth
Inquirers’ classes meet Saturdays at 4 p.m. upstairs in the parish hall. We will be going through the OCA publication, “Essential Orthodox Christian Beliefs” which can be found at OCA.org. Contact [email protected] for more information.
Book Study Group Thursdays at noon (in person)
Fr. John leads a book study group that meets Thursdays at approximately noon. Studying the book Christ in the Psalms.
Introduction to the Short Stories of Chekhov with Irina Bayer
A group of parishioners discuss the short stories of Anton Chekhov one Sunday per month. The discussion begins after services and a bite to eat, around 12:15 p.m.
Bible Study Group Tuesday evenings (in person)
Fr. John also leads an in-person Bible study at 7 p.m. Tuesday evenings.
Morning Prayer (Zoom)
Every weekday we offer a short (15- to 20-minute) morning prayer by Zoom. This is a great way to start the day together with fellow Orthodox Christians. We meet at 8:15 a.m. Everyone is welcome to join!
To join the meeting, please follow the link: Join Zoom Morning Prayer
Zoom Meeting ID: 850 3708 1187
Friday Evening Discussion Group (Zoom)
Please join us at 7 p.m. Fridays to read and discuss the Holy Scriptures and learn about the major Orthodox Saints. On different weeks, we cover chapters from the books of the New and the Old Testaments, and the lives of the Saints. Everyone is welcome to join. To receive a link to the Zoom meeting, please contact Dn. Igor Beskorovaynyy
Meeting schedule: Friday Discussion Group Schedule
Russian Bible Study / Discussion Group (Zoom)
For Russian-speaking people, we offer a weekly evening Bible Study/Discussion Group Thursdays at 7 p.m. If you would like to participate in the group, please contact Dn. Igor Beskorovaynyy
Our parish feast day, St. Nicholas Day, is Wednesday, December 6. We will have an Akathist service at 6 p.m. and a reception following to celebrate our patronal feast. The following weekend, December 9-10, Archbishop Benjamin will be with us.
- Tuesday, November 21 — Entrance of the Theotokos. Hours 9:10 a.m. Divine Liturgy 9:30 a.m.
- Thursday, November 23 — St. Alexander Nevsky. Thanksgiving Day. Hours 9:10 a.m. Divine Liturgy 9:30 a.m.
- Saturday, November 25 — Great Vespers and confessions 6 p.m.
- Sunday, November 26 — Matins 8:30 a.m. Divine Liturgy 9:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, November 28 — Bible study 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 29 — Vespers 6 p.m.
- Thursday, November 30 — St. Sebastian Dabovich of San Francisco. Hours 9:10 a.m. Divine Liturgy 9:30 a.m. Book study 11:30 a.m.
- Saturday, December 2 — Parish work day 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Great Vespers and confessions 6 p.m.
- Sunday, December 3 — Matins 8:30 a.m. Divine Liturgy 9:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, December 6 — St. Nicholas. Akathist to St. Nicholas followed by reception.
- Thursday, December 7 — Book study 11:30 a.m.
- Saturday, December 9 — Feast of St. Nicholas (observed). Great Vespers and confessions 6 p.m.
- Sunday, December 10 — Hours 9:10 a.m. Hierarchical Divine Liturgy 9:30 a.m.
See the online calendar for further details.