A parish of the Orthodox Church in America
A parish of the Diocese of the West of the Orthodox Church in America, Portland, Oregon
17th SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST, October 1, 2023
The Protection of our Most Holy Lady the Mother of God and Ever-Virgin Mary commemorates the miraculous appearance of the Mother of God in the mid-tenth century in Constantinople, in the Blachernae church, where her robe, veil, and part of her belt were preserved after being transferred from Palestine in the fifth century.
Scripture readings: Hebrews 9:1-7; Luke 10:38-42; 11:27-28; 2 Corinthians 6:16-7:1; Luke 6:31-36
Commemorated feasts and saints: The Protection (Pokrov) of our Most Holy Lady Theotokos and Ever-Virgin Mary. Apostle of the Seventy Ananias (1st c.). Ven. Romanus the Melodist (“Sweet-singer”—5th c.). Ven. Savva (Sabbas), Abbot of Vishera (Novgorod—1461). Martyr Domninus of Thessalonica (4th c.). Martyr Michael, Abbot in Armenia, and 36 Fathers with him (780-790). Ven. John (Koukouzelis) the Hymnographer of Mt. Athos (Albanian—12th c.). Ven. Gregory of Lavra (Mt. Athos—12th c.). “Pskov-Protection” Icon of the Mother of God.
Regular weekly schedule*
6 p.m. Great Vespers
8:30 a.m. Matins
9:30 a.m. Divine Liturgy
9:10 a.m. Hours and Divine Liturgy
*This is the usual schedule. Check the calendar for changes.
Our ongoing Food Drive has collection stations upstairs in the parish hall on the shelves near the masks. Please bring new, unexpired, non-perishable foods. A list posted on the shelves near the dropoff area upstairs indicates the most-needed items. The food will be donated to Oregon Food Bank or other local food boxes. If you would like to volunteer to help drop off donated food, please speak with Cheri Wilson.
Hymnography of the Orthodox Church
Choir director Tracey Edson will lead discussions about the Octoechos (eight-week musical cycle of the Church) at 4:30 p.m. on the following Saturdays:
- September 30 — Canceled
- October 21 — Tone 3
- November 11 — Tone 6
- December 2 — Tone 1
- January 13, 2024 — Tone 7
- February 17 — Tone 4
- May 18 — Tone 2
- June 8 — Tone 5
Church school begins Sunday, September 17.
- Children ages 6-12 meet after lunch (noon to 1 p.m.) in the Atrium
- Kids ages 12-14 meet after lunch (noon to 1 p.m.) in the classroom
- Teens in grades 9–12 will meet after Liturgy the first, second, and third Sundays of each month.
Opportunities for Spiritual Growth
Email Fr. John for information about upcoming inquirers’ classes.
Book Study Group Thursdays at noon (in person)
Fr. John leads a book study group that meets Thursdays at approximately noon. Studying the book Christ in the Psalms.
Introduction to the Short Stories of Chekhov with Irina Bayer
A group of parishioners discuss the short stories of Anton Chekhov one Sunday per month. The discussion begins after services and a bite to eat, around 12:15 p.m.
Bible Study Group Tuesday evenings (in person)
Fr. John also leads an in-person Bible study at 7 p.m. Tuesday evenings.
Morning Prayer (Zoom)
Every weekday we offer a short (15- to 20-minute) morning prayer by Zoom. This is a great way to start the day together with fellow Orthodox Christians. We meet at 8:15 a.m. Everyone is welcome to join!
To join the meeting, please follow the link: Join Zoom Morning Prayer
Zoom Meeting ID: 850 3708 1187
Friday Evening Discussion Group (Zoom)
Please join us at 7 p.m. Fridays to read and discuss the Holy Scriptures and learn about the major Orthodox Saints. On different weeks, we cover chapters from the books of the New and the Old Testaments, and the lives of the Saints. Everyone is welcome to join. To receive a link to the Zoom meeting, please contact Dn. Igor Beskorovaynyy
Meeting schedule: Friday Discussion Group Schedule
Russian Bible Study / Discussion Group (Zoom)
For Russian-speaking people, we offer a weekly evening Bible Study/Discussion Group Thursdays at 7 p.m.. If you would like to participate in the group, please contact Dn. Igor Beskorovaynyy
- Tuesday, September 26 — St. John the Theologian. Hours 9:10 a.m. Divine Liturgy 9:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, September 27 — Vespers 6 p.m.
- Thursday, September 28 — Book study 11:30 a.m.
- Saturday, September 30 — Great Vespers and confessions 6 p.m.
- Sunday, October 1 — The Protection of the Most Holy Theotokos. Matins 8:30 a.m. Divine Liturgy 9:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, October 3 — Bible study 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 4 — Vespers 6 p.m.
- Thursday, October 5 — Book study 11:30 a.m. Great Vespers for St. Innocent 6 p.m.
- Friday, October 6 — St. Innocent, Metropolitan of Moscow and Apostle to the Americas. Hours 9:10 a.m. Divine Liturgy 9:30 a.m.
- Saturday, October 7 — Great Vespers and confessions 6 p.m.
- Sunday, October 8 — Matins 8:30 a.m. Divine Liturgy 9:30 a.m.
See the online calendar for further details.